Wash day blues

Apr 17, 2020

Came down to kitchen this morning to discover a puddle in front of the washing machine.

So I pulled out the machine

And found the puddle was in front of the machine. Maybe the water somehow was spilled by me last night, had run on the floor and the machine isn’t leaking . I will take the top off and run a short fill, spin, drain cycle and see if I can spot a leak. At least the water hasn’t got into the kitchen cabinets and swelled the horrible, nasty, cheap chipboard the carcasses are made from.

Outer diameter of waste pipe just too big for push fit bend. Rubbed down the end of pipe with Dremel and softened with heat gun to reduce diameter.
It fits
Metal body. Positive smooth action when tightening.
Chuck attached to thread with a little dab of blue Loctite. Hopefully enough Loctite, but not too much. I’m thinking the drill or I will fail before this chuck.

The Bosch drill seems in fine condition but the chuck had seized up. The collected wisdom of You tube suggested if I could secure a large Allen key in the chuck, then give that a substantial wack in an anti clockwise direction, the chuck should loosen then unscrew. After three wacks, it worked! Hopefully the new chuck from Screwfix will fit (no returns at the moment). I will then have a second drill, ready for modifying the compost heap (next weeks’ project)

It fits ! Ready to wack.
And it’s off !
Will the new one fit?

Replaced washing line

Mar 1, 2020

A plastic bracket at the top of the of washing line had become brittle and snapped, so one of the arms was hanging down. A dead washing line

Broken bracket on old washing line

The biggest task was to get the base of the old pole out of the ground. What a job. Masonary drills, cold chisels, sweating.

Bash bash bash

Finally out

I wanted to keep the existing concrete base for the washing line since it is fairly heavy and stable. I fixed the new plastic “socket” by filling the gap with mortar. I bought some ready-mix mortar from Screwfix and hope I added the correct amount of water, not too wet, not too dry. I reused a section of the old pole to keep the plastic “socket” in place and vertical while I put the mixed mortar in the gap between the “excavated” base and the new pole. I will put some lithium car grease at the base of the pole to hopefully stop the new pole sticking to the new socket by excluding the water that will collect in the base.

Trying to keep new pole vertical
It lives

Fix lamp

Feb 27, 2020

When I pulled out the bulb from my 10 year old (20?) IKEA desk lamp I managed to snap one of the fixing posts. With some mitre (quick set) adhesive backed up with a dollop of epoxy resin, I managed to get the post back into position and fairly straight. With a new bulb, everything works fine

The big picture
Epoxy, it does the job
Old controller just slid up when boiler casing removed .
New electronic controller
 
New controller in place, working well.

The oven caused the RCD (earth leakage detector) to “trip” after the oven had been running for a few minutes. the advice was the heating element was probably causing the error. I have changed the element in the past.

I slid the oven out of the housing.

I checking the terminal block and that showed no signs of over-heating.

The new grill element cost about £20 arriving by post one day later.

The oven seems to work fine, having cooked some fish in the oven for 15 minutes at about 170 degrees C. but maybe the new grill element want being used. I will try grilling something tomorrow.

The old element appeared charred around one of the places it went through the fixing bracket, but that may have been a coincidence.

One of the plastic buckles on a strap on the new suitcase had snapped when being put in a car. Of course, these things are relatively flimsy. To replace the buckle would have meant unpicking and restitching heavy-duty nylon strap which would have been time consuming for the shoe repair guy and hence expensive. Luckily the break was in a place that could be repaired if I could find the right material.

I had an unused radiator bracket lying around so I cut it, filed off the rough edges and bent it into shape in the vice.

With much fiddling and bending I bent the metal into right shape making good contact on the plastic buckle.

I applied the epoxy resin, then found the metal piece would not thread through the nylon fabric loop on the case. So I unbent one end of the metal, pushed it through the loop. Then I bent back the metal strip to shape, applied some more epoxy glue to the metal ends and pushed on the buckle. The buckle looks fairly secure. I have run out of epoxy but I will probably reinforce the other buckles with metal corner pieces cut and shaped from the remainder of the radiator bracket. Time will tell how robust this will be.

TV bracket

Aug 9, 2019

I wanted a swing-out TV bracket for the lounge so I could position the screen depending on where I was sitting. I had bought a bracket which was very heavy and a fixed 15 degrees forward tilt which was unsuitable for my small lounge. I returned the bracket at a cost of £11 postage. Ouch!

The new bracket was more compact, still rather heavy, but much more flexible in terms of fixing options than the first bracket.

The bracket took me 2 hours to fix securely to the existing plywood fixing. I wanted to try to get the bracket as level as possible so I took my time. I used m6 bolts with loctite nuts to fix the back plate as I felt this was more secure than using screws. The weight of the bracket caused it to rotate, so I used one screw to counteract this twisting without needing to bear weight. This seems to have worked well.