No fence, new fence

Apr 28, 2019

Advertisements

October roses

Oct 7, 2018

There was a fair amount of dust on the soil from the building work next door. I scraped off the dust, removed the large stones, cut back the climber. Then I picked up a bag of mulch from Clockhouse Nursery carrying it on the back of the Virago. The Rok straps made sure the bag was secure on the passenger seat / perch. The Virago ran fine between Barnet and Enfield, so for now the various electrical problems seem to have been sorted out. Finally I turned over about one third of the compost heap, burying the non decomposed material which had been lying on the top. I might get a couple of bags of horse manure from Clockhouse and chuck that on top to enrich the compost.

Rainbow

Jan 15, 2018

IMG_20180115_151738_stitch

Yet more fence

Oct 1, 2017

Another fence post was leaning.

I was hoping the base wasn’t rotten because the post didn’t move easily. I dug out the soil around the base.

And decided I could lever the concrete to straighten the post vertically. This worked quite well.

I could have bought some more postcrete but I had some bonding plaster lying around. I decided to pack the space around the base.

This may turn out to be a bad idea if the plaster falls apart in a damp environment. So far the bonding plaster has gone off hard.

Even more fencing

Jul 30, 2017

I may seem a little obsessed with the fencing but hopefully this won’t have to be tackled again for years to come. The panel on the left hand side next to the post just replaced was looking a little shabby so I decided to replace that with a slightly taller panel. The existing 3 foot panel looked a bit insubstantial. This also gave me the opportunity to cut back some more branches that had between pressing against the old panel. Hopefully with a much more robust new post any new growth will be guided up and over the fence where I can trim it when it grows over into my garden. I’m happy with the result. I just have to do the planting.

More fencing

Jul 25, 2017

One of the posts between two fence panels on the side between my garden and what was Joyce’s garden, had been leaning for years. The dense and vigorous shrubs were pushing the panels too.

I was concerned I would have to replace the metal post “socket” that was in the ground. However, the post was leaning because essentially its base had completely rotted. The fence panels were holding up the post rather than the other way round.

IMG_20170725_125401

The metal post “socket” was full of fine soil, probably the rotted base of the post, so I cleared that all out (a fiddly job requiring a screwdriver and a plastic spoon). That bloody shrub is right next to the base of the post.

IMG_20170725_125417

The fence panel was fragile so out that came. This gave me the opportunity to cut back the shrubs pushing against my fence. The plants will grow back but only over a time. The new post has been bashed into the metal post socket about 6 inches deep and feels pretty secure so that might resist the push of the shrub new growth. I put in a new gravel board and bodged up some fixing posts with some wood I had lying around. The land drops away to the end of the garden so getting the gravel board roughly level for the fence panel to sit on was a bit of a task.

IMG_20170725_140831

The foliage facing the other garden is still pretty much intact so the intending purchaser of next door won’t see a garden laid waste. Gentle reader I had mentioned several times to Joyce, her son-in-law and Richard the gardener I needed to replace that bit of fencing and the post and cut back the shrub. So I wasn’t doing this unilaterally. They are getting a new fence panel and post and my work for free. At least the bulk of the hard graft is done.

A first coat of paint has gone on the new fence panel. I will paint the panel again tomorrow, plant the roses and move a couple of shrubs from the other side of the garden that are currently in an awkward position. This is probably the wrong time of year to move the shrubs but getting the layout of the planting better and easier to maintain is far more urgent than stunting a few plants. There will be plenty of rain over the next few days to help the moved plants get established. That old roses will be pruned heavily and straightened up in the autumn. The horticultural expert says if the rose bush is too close to the fence it will lean. The roses bushes that will infill are a couple of cheapy end-of-year plants from Crews Hill. They look ok to me.IMG_20170725_184126